Baking like a boss

Two cakes covered in fondant icing on a cutting board

Earlier this year, I found a pack of fondant icing on sale at the supermarket and couldn't resist buying it. However, it was due to expire a few months before Christmas, so I figured I shouldn't save it for my holiday fruitcake.

Thus, I had to find another type of cake to make that would also go well with a fondant topping. In the end, I decided to make a British-style birthday cake, which also seems kind of like a standard wedding cake to me.

I was inspired by this birthday cake post and recipe, but I didn't have the right baking pan mentioned. I did think about trying to convert the recipe, and I was also interested to find many different baking pan converters online.

A rectangular vanilla cake in parchment paper

Finally, I made the Cake Boss's vanilla cake recipe, which I also liked because it used oil rather than butter in the batter. I baked it in an 8x11-inch pan, so the cake was thicker than in the 9x13 dish called for. However, that was fine as I could then cut the cake in half through the middle both ways for two smaller cakes.

A rectangular cake cut in half down the middle

I made a basic icing with butter and powdered sugar to cover all layers of the cake. I also put some raspberry jam in the middle. Then I rolled out the fondant and put it on top.

Two halves of a rectangular cake topped with butter icing and jam

Baking and icing the cake were certainly quite a lot of work just to use up a pack of fondant. However, it was a fun project and I always like trying new things. Plus, it tasted amazing in the end and we got to have a lovely dessert all week long!

Two cakes covered in butter icing on a cutting board

Comments

Popular Posts