A Passage to Indian Cooking, Part 1

I first ate Indian food about five or six years ago, and though I enjoyed it, I didn't really become a fan until I traveled to India last fall. Everything I ate, I loved; and unfortunately, I gained a bit of weight on the trip. Now that I live in a small town where the ethnic cuisine options are somewhat limited, I decided to try cooking my own Indian food.

One of my favorite dishes is chicken tikka masala. So I found a recipe at www.indiacurry.com, and set about collecting all the spices needed. I had to buy the garam masala at an Indian restaurant in Springfield! I followed this recipe almost exactly, though I did halve it because I only had 1 pound of chicken breast. It turned out very tasty — the flavor was spot-on — but the sauce was a little bit watery. I think cooking it on the stove the whole time, instead of transferring to a slow cooker, would probably solve that problem.

1/4 cup cooking oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut up
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 inch ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoon yogurt
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup heavy cream

1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottom pan.

2. Fry chicken pieces till opaque, white to light brown. Remove with slotted spoon and put in the slow cooker.

3. Add onions, salt and cayenne to hot oil in pan. Saute till onions are translucent and the edges start to turn brown.

4. Add garlic and ginger. Saute another 2 minutes.

5. Add curry powder, saute 30 seconds.

6. Add yogurt; saute till almost all the moisture from the yogurt is consumed.

7. Add tomatoes and butter. Heat till almost bubbly. Transfer to slow cooker.

8. Rinse out the pan with water and add water to the slow cooker.

9. Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover and set at high. Cook for 40 minutes.

10. Turn cooker down to low, cook for an additional 5 to 6 hours.

Comments

Popular Posts