Tomato Season

Although summer is officially over now, tomatoes are still on the vine up here in farm country. Last week I was inundated with tomatoes from my cousin's garden. I ate them raw with basil and mozzarella. I roasted them in the oven with a bit of garlic and salt and pepper. I began to get a bit tired of eating tomatoes, and then I remembered that I was once served tomato bread at a ladies luncheon.

After some online searching, I found a few recipes for tomato bread, although they were much harder to come by than I expected. I've worked with yeast a few times before, but it is not my preference, so I chose to make a tomato quick bread from allrecipes.com. Of course, I altered the recipe a bit, as is my habit; but, it turned out quite tasty. In retrospect, when using fresh tomatoes, there's no juice to reserve, and I think if I'd added a little bit of water, the bread would've been moister. But, when heated in the microwave and topped with a bit of butter, it's as good as can be.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I substituted 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons milk (I used soymilk because that's what I had on hand)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (I used three large-ish tomatoes, peeled and cut up)
1/3 cup sliced black olives (I didn't add olives because I didn't have any)
3 green onions, chopped (This is my addition to the recipe)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8- by 4-inch loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, sugar and cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/2 cup reserved tomato juice, milk, eggs, oil and garlic. Combine liquid and dry mixtures. Fold in chopped tomatoes and olives. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts