Where's the beef?

Twice this week I have experienced a new and strange sensation. I've been almost nauseated by seeing and then eating meat — once when I was eating a ham sandwich (with ham that was room temp. and not very tasty) and then again yesterday when eating a piece of pepperoni pizza from Shakespeare's. During the latter incident, I almost felt guilty, too, for eating something I knew to have a somewhat substantial carbon footprint.

This is definitely a new feeling for me. Although I'm not a meat-for-all-three-meals kind of girl, I do enjoy the occasional steak and meat sauce on pasta, among other things. I never considered being a vegetarian, and I always thought people who were to be a little bit crazy. But, now that I live alone (and now that I've learned how environmentally unfriendly a high-meat diet can be), I have reduced my meat consumption by quite a bit. It has really been quite easy overall, and I haven't tried that hard.

It's interesting to me that, now that I rarely eat meat, I have almost an aversion to it. I certainly didn't intend for that to happen, and maybe it was just the two specific foods I encountered this week. I guess we'll see just how much I enjoy my cabbage rolls with ground turkey in the filling (see next post) and my Thanksgiving turkey in a couple weeks.

Comments

  1. I've read several books lately -- including "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell and "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle, and also "Skinny Bitch" by ? in the past, and I'm pretty disillusioned with meat myself. So go us, for being healthier and more environmentally conscious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts