Saturday Night's All Right for Cooking

I have been rather remiss at posting about my cooking/eating habits recently, when in fact, I have probably got a lot more material than usual. Since I started working at my new job (2 months ago), I have eaten out for lunch with my coworkers nearly every day. It has been really fun, though I have been eating a lot more meat and maybe a lot more in general. I have decided to try to cut back to just eating out 2 or 3 times for lunch each week in order to be a bit healthier.

In addition, now that David and I are living together, I am cooking a lot more meals for two. I like cooking for other people, but it is also more difficult than I expected - the things I like are not necessarily the things he likes. I am very good at cooking simple, healthy, vegetarian meals, but I am not as experienced with cooking meat and other more manly fare.

Last night I tried to recreate a beef dish that we ate while traveling in Korea, but it did not look nearly as nice as this. I tried to cook it in a similar way, by sautéing onions and garlic, adding the beef and then some water. However, the meat was a bit tough, maybe because it cooked too long or because I didn't slice it thin enough. But, it tasted pretty good, and I love how you wrap the meat and onions in big lettuce leaves to make a crunchy Asian taco.


My more successful cooking adventure last night was making carrot bread. This was an endeavor to use up the last 2 eggs that I'd had in the fridge for quite some time, as well as some of my carrots. I loosely followed this recipe minus all the fancy stuff like hazelnuts, coconut, etc. My carrot bread is just a basic quick bread with raisins and a powdered sugar glaze, and maybe a little too much nutmeg.  


Comments

  1. Is that bulgogi? If so, yum. You should try making plov, it's a Ukrainian dish, my brother made it for us and it was simple and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, or at least I think so. Some recipes for bulgogi say it should be grilled, but whatever. And cool, thanks! Perhaps I will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts