A Taste of Home

One of the best things about going home is getting to eat some of my favorite foods, or at least foods that I like that aren't readily available in Hong Kong. It's probably for the best that I don't ever go back to the US for more than a month. Otherwise, my waistline would likely expand significantly.

Here are just a few of the highlights of eating my way through America. Other restaurants I visited included Red Lobster (for the cheddar biscuits), Panera Bread Company, Steak 'n' Shake, Pizza Hut and the Springfield treasure Nearly Famous Deli & Pasta House (go on Fridays for the famous egg salad sandwich special!).

1. Lucy's Cashew Chicken

It may seem funny to want to eat Chinese food back in the States, when I am actually living in an ethnically Chinese city. However, the Chinese foods here and there are completely different with some shared things like chow mein, sweet and sour pork and fried rice. Needless to say, the deep-fried cashew chicken originating in Springfield, Mo., has not made its way across the Pacific. And neither have egg rolls or fortune cookies, which is unfortunate.

Photo courtesy of www.lucyschinesefood.com

2. Buckingham's Barbecue

I know of one Southern-style barbecue restaurant in Hong Kong, but I have yet to go there. I don't think it could be better than Buckingham's, though, which might be one of the reasons Americans are so obese. My pulled pork sandwich had enough meat on it for at least two sandwiches, plus it came with fries, green beans and two melt-in-your-mouth ribs. Amazing! 

Photo courtesy of www.buckinghambbq.com


3. Addison's Nachos Bianco

Most people would order nachos at a Mexican restaurant, and I certainly do, too. However, the nachos at Addison's are a step above the rest because of the Mediterranean twists. Asiago/alfredo cheese sauce, "pasta" chips and kalamata olives -- along with black beans, tomatoes, banana peppers and green onions -- make this one of my favorite foods in all of Columbia.


Photo courtesy of http://addisonssophias.com




There are few things that you absolutely cannot get in Hong Kong, but frozen custard is one of them -- frozen yogurt we have and even Ben and Jerry's, but no rich, creamy custard with hot fudge and caramel on top. Of course, my absolute favorite frozen custard is Shake's, where I used to work, but all of the ones I know of have closed. So, Andy's is the next best thing, and it is pretty heavenly.

Photo courtesy of www.eatandys.com



Comments

Popular Posts