The Digestive: An Introduction

If you were to use the noun "digestive" when talking about food in the US, you would probably get some funny looks. People might think you were talking about a medicinal treatment or some kind of drink like Metamucil. In England (and Hong Kong), however, a digestive is a type of biscuit, a.k.a cookie.

It is a circular, hard cookie made with wholemeal flour, and so it supposedly contains enough fiber to provide digestive health benefits, hence the name. When I was first introduced to digestives, it was in fact the name that made me suspicious because it doesn't exactly sound appetizing. However, these English classics are quite delicious -- they remind me of a crumblier, grainier graham cracker.

Photo courtesy www.wikipedia.org.

There are many brands of digestives, but the most famous one seems to be McVitie's. They are very good, but as a newcomer to this kind of cookie, I am not too picky. I have bought the Waitrose variety (a supermarket line from England) as well as those packaged by Wellcome (a local supermarket). Digestives are a great snack because they are not too sweet or too salty.

Recently, I decided to branch out from buying regular digestives and get some of the chocolate kind. I was expecting them to be a version of the cookie made with cocoa in the batter, as we have chocolate graham crackers at home. Instead, upon opening the packet I found regular digestives with one side coated in actual chocolate. Mmmmmm!

Photo courtesy www.wikipedia.org.

And as if that weren't enough, I have discovered that they are even better topped with a thin layer of peanut butter and some marshmallow pieces. This could be dangerous...








Comments

Popular Posts