Christmas Cookies!

It has been a while since I myself made gingerbread cookies. My mother and I have a traditional family recipe that has been used for many years, but it is back in Nixa. Once in Marshall, I made a delicious version, and this past weekend my flatmate Amy and I tried another one.

This time, because I was co-cooking with an English person, there was a slight change in the recipe. In England, they make gingerbread with something called treacle - a word I first encountered during the Mad Hatter's tea party in 'Alice in Wonderland' - rather than molasses.

To my eye, the treacle seemed to look just the same as molasses. And, the taste is comparable as well. However, Wikipedia says that they are both made of cane sugar, though molasses is supposedly a bit darker and more refined, than treacle.


Our cookies turned out just lovely, especially with the ornate Christmas tree cookie cutter Amy had. You'd never know that we didn't have a rolling pin (we used a water bottle) or any ground cloves, and used something called light muscovado sugar instead of plain brown sugar.


Also during our evening of cookie baking, we finally put up the flat Christmas tree. It may not be the nicest, but it adds a bit of festive cheer. Merry Christmas to all! 


Comments

Popular Posts