Comforting Congee

This past Monday I had a spontaneous attack of a strange stomach bug, which left me off work Monday afternoon and all of Tuesday. Needless to say, I wasn't eating much, and certainly nothing worth blogging about.

However, as I began to feel better towards the end of the week, I had my second-ever bowl of congee, the Chinese version of porridge. It is basically made of rice cooked in water until it falls apart and becomes like a thick soup.

My congee had pieces of chicken (complete with skin and bone, of course) and mushroom, as well as some green onion and ginger. It may not look or sound very good, but it tastes nice and wholesome. And after eating it, I felt much further along the road to recovery, which was even better. 


Also while sick, I remembered one of my childhood remedies for an upset tummy that I hadn't thought of in years. Mix hot water with the Jell-o (or jelly as the British say) flavor of your choice and then drink it warm before allowing it to set. Mmm ... sweet, comforting fruity goodness.

Comments

Popular Posts