New Orleans' Signature Sandwiches


I ate my first and only po'boy at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans while working in the Exhibition Hall at the American Academy of Ophthalmology annual meeting. I'm sure the food court was probably not the best po'boy purveyor in the city; however, the crispy shrimp and soft crusty bread were still pretty satisfying.


In researching food in New Orleans, I was surprised to learn about Central Grocery and their famous Italian muffuletta sandwich. However, as a huge fan of mortadella, I was happy to try it! In the end, my mom and I shared a half sandwich (pictured) complete with olive salad, salami, ham, provolone and Swiss cheese plus mortadella. Delicious! 


We first walked past The Grill in the French Quarter in between mealtimes but vowed to return due to its vintage atmosphere. Seated at the counter, we stuffed ourselves with tasty burgers and cheesy fries (with complimentary chili on the side, thanks to a very generous server!) Sadly we were too full to try the shakes or pecan pie.

Comments

Popular Posts