Sticky Pear and Ginger Cake


In my family, one of our favorite Christmas desserts is pecan pie, but of course fruitcake or Christmas pudding are more traditional in the UK. I will probably make fruitcake later this year, but for our vegetarian Christmas feast I tried a sticky pear and ginger cake, which was similar to a sticky toffee pudding.

Although it turned out very well, I had to bake the cake 30 minutes longer than called for! Otherwise, the recipe was fairly straightforward, though you had to make the cake in parts and I always prefer recipes using cups rather than grams. 


The original recipe includes a brandy sauce to pour over the cake while it cools and again when served. However, our gathering had some expecting mothers who wouldn't be consuming alcohol. So I made a buttery toffee sauce from another sticky toffee pudding recipe online. It was very tasty and went well with the cake plus some whipped cream.

Comments

Popular Posts