Chocolate canola oil cake with cherry sauce

two plates of chocolate cake topped with cherry sauce and ice cream

Recently, I saw a recipe for chocolate olive oil cake on the Smitten Kitchen website and I thought about making it; but, it didn't include eggs and used vinegar instead. Then I remembered seeing Nigella Lawson's version before, and it does include eggs.

As I don't have any particular need to bake a cake without eggs, I decided to try Nigella's chocolate olive oil cake. A cake with eggs is fairly standard, and that seemed like a more reliable option to take to a friend's flat for a dinner party. I made the recipe as written, but I used canola oil instead of olive oil as I always have it on hand.

However, the recipe doesn't include any type of frosting, which seemed a bit underwhelming for a gathering. So I decided to make a brandied cherry sauce topping instead. I also bought some cookies and cream ice cream to go with it (as the supermarket didn't have any canned whipped cream and some people don't like it anyway). Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts