Mom's frozen dessert

 

Although I've written about this family recipe before, it was quite a long time ago. As I made it again recently, it seems like the right time for an updated post complete with pictures.

This recipe is from my mom's grandmother (my great-grandmother), who everyone in the family called "Mom". But I don't know where she got it from. I guess it probably isn't any older than that, as one of the key ingredients is store-bought marshmallows.

When I made it this time, I used a combination of slightly old Peeps and regular marshmallows. I was worried the dessert would be too sweet, but it was fine. However, the Peeps took longer to melt than the marshmallows, which I hadn't thought of beforehand.

Marshmallows and Peeps in a pot

After you melt the marshmallows, you add chopped fresh fruit. I used strawberries, but it's also good with raspberries, blackberries or peaches. I've wondered about using bananas, but they aren't as juicy so I'm not sure if it would work as well.

A pot full of melted marshmallows and chopped strawberries

Finally, you add whipped cream into the fruit mixture and then freeze it until set. It's interesting that this recipe is quite old, but this step is also similar to a lot of no-churn ice cream recipes I've read more recently. Maybe this dessert was ahead of its time!

Metal bowl of whipped cream and hand mixer

Comments

Popular Posts