Pecan pie with boxed crust

 Box of Betty Crocker pie crust mix

Growing up, my mom sometimes used store-bought frozen pie crusts already in tins if she didn't want to make homemade crust. So, I'm not sure that I've ever seen pie crust in a box in the US before, and I know I never bought it there.

However, I've found it on sale a few times in Hong Kong and decided to give it a try. It's easy enough to make--just add water and mix, then roll it out and put it in the pan. And while it's probably not the best pie crust I've ever eaten, it's certainly not bad either.

In the past, I've used this pie crust on top of a savory filling for a main course, like creamy broccoli & mushroom. Most recently, I used it as a base for Guy Fieri's pecan pie. I'd never tried his recipe before, but it was pretty straightforward and turned out well. 

At first, I was skeptical about the extra step of toasting the pecans before baking, but you could definitely taste a difference in the flavor. And even though the pie filling actually seeped into a crack in the crust and soaked it through, the pie was still yummy and went down well at a friend's Christmas party. 

Pecan pie in a glass pie pan

Comments

Popular Posts