Sainsbury's simple cinnamon cake

 Cinnamon cake baked in a round glass pie dish

A while ago, after using half a can of vanilla frosting on my first-ever wacky cake, I knew I needed to find another cake recipe to go with the rest. (Although in college, I probably would've just eaten all the leftover frosting directly from the container.) 

I thought about making a vanilla or confetti cake, or even another chocolate cake. Finally, I decided on this recipe from a British supermarket chain: Sainsbury's simple cinnamon cake.

I didn't have any mace (which apparently is similar to nutmeg, not cloves as first I thought). So I just increased the amount of cinnamon in the cake. Otherwise, I made no adjustments to the recipe and it turned out well. The spiced cake was very tasty with the vanilla frosting.

Despite using a smaller toaster oven, I actually baked the cake for almost the entire 40 minutes as called for. I was worried the center wasn't quite done. In hindsight, I would've taken it out of the oven slightly sooner to make sure it stayed moist.

More recently, I made another cinnamon cake using a plain olive oil cake recipe. I was looking for a cake without butter, and this one fit the bill. To make it more exciting than plain vanilla, I added a few teaspoons of cinnamon, and it was very tasty. However, it may have been slightly tough due to over-mixing on my part, though of course we still ate it.

Comments

Popular Posts