Easy Chocolate Wacky Cake

 Un-iced chocolate cake in a round glass pan

I've read about wacky cakes before and am always interested in recipes that don't need butter (see my earlier experiments with olive oil cake and confetti cake). Finally, I got around to trying an official wacky cake recipe.

This Depression-era chocolate cake was very easy to make, though I mixed it in a bowl rather than in my glass baking pan. Unusually for me, I didn't make any changes to the ingredients, but I did use hot water as one commenter suggested (similar to our family's devil's food cake recipe, which I've apparently never written about!). 

What's more, the cake was not just easy but also incredibly tasty. The texture was slightly different than other cakes--it was softer somehow--but the flavor was great. Topped with canned vanilla frosting that needed to be used, it reminded me of birthday parties as a kid. However, it also would've been good on its own or dusted with powdered sugar.

Comments

Popular Posts