Homemade granola

Metal serving bowl of homemade granola

Recently I realized that I had a lot of oatmeal in the cabinet, which probably need to be used up. So I decided to try making homemade granola or muesli, loosely following Ina Garten's recipe with the ingredients I had on hand.

Besides oats, I included sunflower seeds, pecans, the remains of a bag of mixed nuts, raisins and dried cranberries. I used desiccated coconut instead of shredded coconut, as the latter is not easy to find in Hong Kong. I also used just one-fourth cup of both honey and oil, based on some of the comments on the recipe.

Overall, the granola turned out fairly well, though I did let parts of it get a bit too brown while toasting. It's not sweet, which is what I was hoping for, and I think the ~2 cups of dried fruit I used was enough. The proportions of oats to nuts and fruit as called for in the directions don't seem quite right to me. 

Comments

Popular Posts