A semi-successful pecan pie experiment

Pecan pie sitting on a gas stove 

We went to another couple's house for dinner this past weekend, and of course I offered to make dessert. I settled on pecan pie because I knew they liked it. Plus we didn't have any this Christmas, so it's been a while since I've eaten it.

Because I was feeling lazy (and I don't really have a whole lot of work surfaces in the kitchen), I wanted to make the easiest pie crust possible. I found a recipe for no-roll pie crust that you mix directly in the pie plate, then press flat. A great idea in theory but not in practice. It was much too thick and fairly dry as well. 

No-roll pie crust in glass pie plate

For the filling, I chose a recipe from Smitten Kitchen that I've seen on Instagram before. I haven't been able to find corn syrup in the store recently, so it was nice to find an alternative with golden syrup instead. The filling was very delicious, but unfortunately the center of the pie was quite runny. 

Next time, if I can't get a refrigerated/frozen crust, I will definitely make my own the old-fashioned way. I might try the Smitten Kitchen filling again, and then bake the pie longer with some foil on top so it won't get too brown.

Comments

Popular Posts