Caramel in a Can

I write the weekly food feature at The Marshall Democrat-News, and I always get excited when I learn a new cooking technique or trick from an interview subject. Well, last week I heard of something pretty delectable. A lady was describing to me how, to make her special chocolate caramels, you first submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of water on the stove and let it simmer for about 3 hours. Basically, I felt my cooking life would not be complete without trying this, and I've sort of been dreaming about it since she told me.

So, this weekend I finally had time to undertake the experiment, and I must say it turned out quite well. The creme-colored condensed milk turns into a dark, thick caramel, which tastes delicious, though I think there's just a bit of condensed milk taste that lingers. The part on the very bottom of the can got slightly too done as well, but it's still edible. I first tried the caramel on ice cream, then a graham cracker. I think it will be nice on apples as well. It's a bit of a pain always checking to see if there's still water in the pan (you don't put a lid on), and I'm sure you could make caramel the old-fashioned way with cream and sugar in 3 hours; but, it was definitely fun to try.

Comments

Popular Posts