Chocolate Temptations

Okay, it's safe to say I've got the winter blues. It snowed again yesterday for the 13th time this winter, according to the Kansas City tv station I was watching. So, my unfortunate coping mechanism is eating sweets. And, as I had a couple of cans of condensed milk remaining after the caramel experiment, I thought I'd try a new way to make brownies.

This recipe is from the Eagle Brand Web site, and they turned out pretty tasty, which is saying something because I'm a bit picky about brownies. I especially like the frosting, which is very fudgy. I added some almonds to the batter before baking, and used whole-wheat pastry flour instead of bleached, just in an attempt to make myself feel a little better about eating so much sugar. Tonight I'm going to make split pea soup — at least that's healthy.

Brownies

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 large egg
2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
2 tablespoons butter

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 8 x 8-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.

2. Mix 1 cup sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate in large bowl. Add egg, flour, vanilla and baking powder. Mix well. Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips evenly over batter. Bake 20 minutes. Cool completely.

3. To make frosting, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips and butter in small saucepan over low heat. Gradually stir in remaining sweetened condensed milk. Stir until smooth and well blended. Spread over cooled brownies.

Comments

Popular Posts