Holy Guacamole!

Last weekend, my friends and I went out for karaoke as a joint birthday celebration for myself and one other girl. Beforehand, we did a little pre-drinking, and I decided to take along snacks. For some reason, I really wanted to make guacamole, though I have never done so before.

Earlier this year, I watched my friend Emily mix up her version of this delicious dip, so I knew the basics of how to make it. I also consulted Slate magazine's "You're Doing It Wrong" cooking column, where I found this article. And now, it is Thursday, and I have made not one but TWO batches of guacamole in less than one week.

Two words of caution. First, really be sure to buy your avocados well in advance. I thought all of mine were ripe the first time around, when actually one was still a bit hard. Second, chopping chili peppers is a tricky affair. I made my second batch of guacamole last night, and today my left hand is still a bit tingly from the spiciness.

Guacamole

3 ripe avocados
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 small red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of one lime
1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together all ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.

Comments

Popular Posts