Prizemart: An Endorsement

A photo of me at Prizemart, featured in "Weekend Weekly" magazine

I don't normally feature certain products or stores on my food blog, except when I discuss specific restaurants where I have eaten. For the most part, I like to keep my content more general when writing about recipes, just because I think they are guidelines about how and what you are cooking -- e.g. oatmeal cookies will not be that much better when made with Quaker Oats. This post will be an exception, however.

There is a chain of stores in Hong Kong called Prizemart -- not to be confused with Pricerite, seller of appliances and home furnishings -- which is a discount food retailer. It's not anything on the scale of Sam's Club or Costco, but it is still pretty great in terms of deals. 

For instance, 1 kilogram of hearty muesli cereal is about $30 HK, or $4 US. In the supermarket, however, you would pay at least twice that price. Another item I regularly buy at Prizemart is off-brand Nutella. This swirled variety is delicious chocolate-hazelnut goodness, but it only costs $15 HK, about $2 US. Again, real Nutella would be twice that much.

Those are not the only items for sale, however. The store has a large selection of chocolate and confectionery, including imported Hershey's items like kisses and the mixed bag of mini chocolate bars. Nuts, dried fruit, coffee, honey and even weird dried Chinese vegetables and fish are among the other products lining the shelves.

I am lucky to walk past a Prizemart quite frequently when I work in the Sylvan Wan Chai office. Once, I was even luckier to be interviewed by a local magazine as I was buying a discounted 3-pack of Kinder Bueno candy bars. But even if you don't get 15 minutes of fame, it is definitely worth shopping at Prizemart. You won't regret it, though I suppose your waistline might.




Comments

  1. I came across your blog and found it to be genuinely interesting and insightful. I also love PrizeMart for their incredibly low prices on imported products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the feedback! Glad to have a new reader :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts