Autumn Apples


The weather here in Hong Kong is still quite summery, though the days are getting shorter and the Mid-Autumn Festival has just passed. Of course, there is certainly no fall apple harvest either, but whenever I think of fall, I think of anything apple and cinnamony.

In my local Park 'n' Shop, there is always a cart near the produce section with discounted fruit. I often buy things from there as they are still good, and it is especially handy for cooking. So, for my fall apples, I bought 8 Gala apples reduced to $10, just over $1 US.

Because I didn't want to make a real dessert like crumble or pie, I decided to stew just 5 of them, and referenced parts of this recipe from Emeril for spices and techniques. I cooked the cut up but unpeeled apples with a juice box of apple juice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and then I added a little sugar at the end.

I wish I had thought to add some raisins or dried cherries, or even a bit of orange peel, because that would have made the apples even more delicious. Nevertheless, they made a sweet and fairly healthy breakfast in the mornings at work.

Comments

Popular Posts