British Baked Beans


I have never liked American-style baked beans, though of course I did not realize there was any other kind until I moved to Hong Kong. To me, the baked beans that are served alongside barbecue are much too sweet and sugary, and it's just weird.

But now, I have discovered that the British eat their baked beans entirely differently. They are cooked in an only slightly-sweet tomato sauce, which has a very nice flavor. These beans come in several canned varieties, though Heinz seems to be the most popular.

Nor are British baked beans a side dish to barbecue or grilled meats (not a British specialty anyway). Instead, beans can come as part of an English breakfast or on top of a baked potato, which is how I usually eat them. 

A microwaved 'baked' potato topped with a slice of cheese and baked beans

Their signature presentation, at least from my point of view, seems to be in the quick student meal or snack 'beans on toast', which is exactly what it sounds like. It is, in fact, a bit of a strange concept to grasp at first, but it is also pretty tasty.


Comments

Popular Posts