No-Cheese Mexican Lasagna


I have made Mexican-style lasagna a few times before, though it seems that I have only blogged about this lasagna with homemade cheese dip, which was a very long time ago. But I decided to try a similar one without cheese at all, as an experiment both in flavor and healthiness.

First, I made a tomato sauce, and I did my best to make my own version of canned Rotel or Mexican-style stewed tomatoes. (I have read that tomatoes from a can often have traces of BPA in them, so now I try not to buy them at all). 

My tomato sauce was one onion sauteed with chopped fresh tomatoes, along with a small can of chopped jalapeno peppers. In fact, although the can was small, it was pretty potent, and I could have used a few more tomatoes for a slightly less spicy sauce.

The other ingredients in my lasagna were kidney beans and sliced zucchini, and of course lasagna noodles. Without any cheese, the layers of veggies, noodles and sauce didn't exactly stick together, but they still tasted just fine.




Comments

Popular Posts