British Bites: Pasties, Pies and More


One meal I definitely wanted to have in England was pie, preferably at a pub. I love everything about savory pies: the flaky crust, the warm fillings, the creamy mashed potatoes on the side with gravy. Mmm! 


Well, David's friends took us to a pub in Newcastle called The Redhouse, and it did not disappoint. In fact, it was probably the best meal I had on the trip. And along with the amazing pie, mushy peas and cheesy mashed potatoes, I had a strawberry flavored beer!


In addition to sweets, we also had lunch at the Beamish living museum. I decided to try something new called a saveloy dip. Essentially, it was a fat hot dog on a bun, topped with lovely gravy and some stuffing. What could be bad about that?!


I suppose a proper tourist would have eaten haggis in Scotland, though I was a little bit afraid. Instead, we ate dinner at a great burger and beer place in Edinburgh. They even had sweet potato fries, too!


Greggs is a well-known English bakery chain, which I have heard David mention frequently. So, of course, I was excited to try it for myself. We went there a few times, so I had a cookies and cream cupcake, a jam donut and a beef and vegetable pasty. Yum! 



'Fish and mushy peas' doesn't have quite the same ring to it as 'fish and chips'. Nevertheless, that is what I got at the local chippy in Tynemouth. I couldn't have eaten greasy fries as well as that huge piece of tasty fried fish.


I didn't eat British food the entire time I was in the UK, which is fine, though I would have been happy to really. Anyway, we ate at Indian, Chinese and Italian restaurants as well. At the latter, I had a lovely vegetarian cannelloni filled with cheese and spinach. 


Fentiman's is a company from northeast England that makes sodas. I wanted to try their version of cherry Coke, but it wasn't available when I thought about it. However, I did get to try the Victorian Lemonade, which was tart and refreshing, with an emphasis on tart. 

Comments

Popular Posts