Main St. Deli


Last weekend, we tried the American-style Main St. Deli in the Langham Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui. I first read about it in a list of the best sandwiches in Hong Kong by HK Magazine.

Also featured in that article is the deli's signature reuben sandwich ($168), which includes not only corned beef, but also pastrami and turkey, as well as Swiss cheese and sauerkraut. As a fan of reubens, I felt I had to try it.

First, every table gets free starters of giant dill pickles and a small bowl of slaw in a semi-sweet vinegar dressing. We also ordered a chocolate milkshake to share, which was served in the metal blending cup.

But when my sandwich arrived, I found myself agreeing with a review on OpenRice, which noted that many American restaurants in Hong Kong try to make classic dishes fancier or more complicated than necessary.

There was so much meat that I could barely bite into the sandwich, which also resulted in the flavors of the other toppings being more muted. Next time I think I'll order a cheeseburger, because David's was juicy and delicious.

Or perhaps I'll just go for the cake. Inside the deli's cake counter are the biggest individual 'pieces' ($98) that I've ever seen. There was NY-style cheesecake, layered chocolate cake and many other sweet temptations.

Comments

Popular Posts