Mongolian Barbecue, Hong Kong Style

I remember when Hu Hot first started opening branches in Missouri and when Mongolian barbecue became popular. However, I think I only ate there once, and I have no memory of it at all.

Interestingly, there is a similar (though definitely smaller) buffet restaurant in Hong Kong called Nomads. I went there for the first time recently, and while it wasn't my favorite, it was a fun and rather unique experience.


There is a self-serve soup and salad bar, which includes basic salad fixings as well as pre-made Hong Kong style fruit salad with mayonnaise and tuna-egg cups. I was most excited for the soup, which was borscht. Yum!


Although the restaurant isn't too big, there is quite a variety of ingredients to choose from as you build your own stir-fry. It is very veggie-friendly, too, with lots of vegetables, tofu and beans, as well as many types of meat and seafood.


Alternatively, you can turn your ingredients into a pizza, though the base was rather more like a tortilla. It turned out a bit crispy, but still pretty tasty. David and I made a half-and-half version to save room for other food!


Dessert is an important part of a buffet, too, though the selection wasn't the best I've seen. However, the fruit tart and the chocolate mousse were very nice. Unfortunately, no drinks are included, but you can get unlimited lemon tea for about $48 more.

Comments

Popular Posts