Vegetarian Sloppy Joes


There is a small grocery store near our apartment that has started stocking more and more items from the British supermarket chain Tesco. Recently, I purchased a frozen bag of vegetarian mince, aka ground "beef" made of soy, which I have never tried before.

With it, I decided to make vegetarian sloppy joes. I wanted to model mine after this recipe, which combines lentils with regular beef; however, I didn't have any lentils nor did the supermarkets nearby. Instead, I supplemented the veggie mince with diced mushrooms.

In retrospect, I wish I'd followed the seasonings in this recipe instead; specifically, the sloppy joes would've been better using tomato sauce rather than ketchup. Additionally, I shouldn't have cooked my potatoes quite so long, as I ended up with mashed potato salad.

However, the veggie mince was tasty and filling, as well as reasonably priced. I look forward to using the remainder of the bag, perhaps in Asian-style lettuce wraps, chili or lasagna.

Comments

Popular Posts