Homemade Gouda Mac and Cheese

 

As I have mentioned before, dairy products (particularly cheese and cream) are typically quite expensive in Hong Kong in comparison with the West. Thus, if I see something exciting on sale at the supermarket I often buy it and freeze it for later.

Quite a while ago, I had purchased some discounted gouda cheese, and I wanted to use it before it spent too long in the freezer. However, I had never cooked with gouda before and wasn't quite sure what to do with it at first.

In the end, I decided to try a variation on this recipe for macaroni and cheese. Instead of cauliflower I used broccoli, which is prettier and also cheaper. And because I didn't have enough gouda, I added some cheddar cheese spread (the kind that comes in small triangles in a circular box).

Despite being a huge fan of mac and cheese, I don't think I've ever made it before (except for a butternut squash version several years ago). Technically I didn't make "macaroni" and cheese this time either, but my pasta with broccoli and cheese sauce was absolutely delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts