Hungry in Hoi An, Part 1


As an ardent lover of sandwiches, David was very keen to try bahn mi while in Vietnam. Thus, one day in Hoi An, we joined a sizeable line of people waiting outside a small sandwich shop highly recommended by celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.

We later discovered that the queue was only for takeaway and gladly found seats inside the small restaurant, where the tables were decorated with old passport photographs. 

Not being a frequent meat eater, I wasn't brave enough to try the traditional sandwich with pate and pork. Instead, I ordered the tuna bahn mi, which was very tasty and well seasoned, though I'm not sure it was the best sandwich in town or otherwise.


For dinner that night, we went to a restaurant called the Blue Dragon, noted in the guide book for donating a portion of their profits to a children's charitable foundation. It was nice but also quite similar to many other restaurants in the area.

My fried tofu with tomatoes was almost an Italian-Asian fusion dish, with garlic and seasoning that tasted quite similar to pasta sauce. I was also amused that my beer glass was in fact a Lipton tea mug! 

Comments

Popular Posts