Katsudon, Cabbage Salad and More


One of my favorite meals in Okinawa (and on the whole Japan trip) was at a pork cutlet restaurant between our hotel and the main tourist area in Naha. Apparently Okinawa is actually known for its pork, called Aguu (as Kobe is known for its beef).

However, instead of ordering the very expensive fancy pork cutlet, I chose the katsudon bowl. The crispy pork chop was served over rice and topped with egg, onion and a lovely sauce. I've eaten (and enjoyed) this dish in Hong Kong, but it seemed extra tasty in Japan.

In addition, we all got miso soup and the most thinly sliced cabbage salad ever. With a soy sauce vinaigrette, it was fantastic. I wish I could slice cabbage as thin, but apparently restaurants may use industrial equipment similar to a deli slicer to achieve this effect.

To drink, I ordered shikuwasa juice. The shikuwasa is a local citrus fruit somewhere between a lemon, a lime and a very sour orange. However, it's lovely and refreshing when made into juice/lemonade-esque drinks.

Comments

Popular Posts