Cooking with turkey leftovers


As I made a full turkey breast for Christmas dinner, we had quite a bit of meat left over (as planned). We ate some in sandwiches and with other Christmas leftovers, but I also wanted to use the turkey in other dishes.

First, I made a turkey and mushroom pie. My version used leftover turkey gravy and juices to make the sauce, rather than a cream-based filling. (I took reference from this recipe). I cheated with a frozen pie crust, which I defrosted and unrolled on top of the filled pie dish.

For the rest of the leftovers, I considered making a white chili, and David suggested a curry. However, I thought that a basic turkey noodle soup would be a better choice to highlight the turkey flavor. The soup base I made is similar to this recipe and is currently in the freezer. When we're ready to eat the soup, I'll defrost it and add noodles to each serving.

Finally, I used all the bits of turkey skin and fat to make some turkey stock, following this Southern Living recipe. It's the first time I've made stock, and I'm not quite sure what I'll use it for. But it's ready in the freezer when needed.

Comments

Popular Posts