Gingerbread house decorating

Earlier this year, we went to Ikea in search of a Christmas tree. They were sold out and we later found a tree elsewhere. However, we also bought some Christmas food as we left the store, including a gingerbread house kit.

David was excited to put the gingerbread house together and decorate it, as he'd never done it before. I found some decorating icing that was reduced at CitySuper (though I forgot to buy any of the attachments that could be used to pipe it).

When we were ready to decorate, I also made royal icing for the first time. My mom usually ices gingerbread cookies with a basic combination of powdered sugar and water, but I figured I should try real royal icing for the best construction.

It's so humid in Hong Kong that one of the roof pieces started to bow before it was even on the house. However, once everything was together the gingerbread house did last around 36 hours. Then one of the sides caved in and we took it all down to store and eat. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts