Chickpea Chow

When I was planning what to make for dinners this week, I realized that I had some year-old dried chickpeas up in the cabinet and thought I should probably use them up. So I searched for recipes using the bean in all the usual places, but found surprisingly less than I would've expected. A lot of the dishes were summery Mediterranean salads, which is definitely not warm enough for this season. But, I did find two soups that sounded quite good, and I stole some elements of each for my dish.

The first is from Rachael Ray, and she uses Indian spices and purees the chickpeas. The second, from Dave Lieberman of Food Network, and it is supposedly Moroccoan. So, I decided to keep the chickpeas whole (partly because I'm lazy) and add garam masala and paprika to the tomato-based soup to spice it up. Then, I bought some of Walmart's multigrain sandwich flats, as they had no pita bread, to go with, and they are amazing. A nice texture and very good flavor, and they are full of whole grains and sweetened with honey (not that they taste sweet really); not a drop of high-fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils!

Comments

Popular Posts