Senegalese Stew

This week I was lucky enough to meet a really neat young woman who has spent the last few years working in Africa. I interviewed her for our "cook of the week" feature in The Marshall Democrat-News, and this is one of the recipes printed with the story. I figured I'd never had much African food (I can only think of lamb tagine right now), so I'd try this dish from Senegal.

Of course, I'm still on my flexitarian diet -- only eating organic, free-range meat, which is not really available here in Marshall -- so I made the mafé with just vegetables. Yellow squash and cabbage, to be specific. It tasted pretty good, too. I was a bit wary of the peanut butter, but I think it just sort of blends with everything else in a good way so it's not too noticeable. And, I served it over quinoa, because I bought some quite a while ago and had yet to eat it. It tastes pretty good, though raw it smells like bird seed.

Mafé

Oil -- 2 tablespoons
Stewing beef, cut into cubes -- 2 pounds
Onion, minced -- 1
Garlic, minced -- 3-6 cloves
Ginger (optional), minced -- 1 tablespoon
Tomato paste -- 2 tablespoons
Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 2 cups
Water or stock -- 1-2 cups
Natural, unsalted peanut butter -- 1 cup
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Method

· Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high flame. Add the beef and sauté until lightly browned on all sides, 5-6 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
· Add the onion to the oil in the pot and sauté until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
· Return the beef to the pot, stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes to reduce the volume of the tomatoes somewhat.
· Add enough water or stock to loosen the dish to a stewlike consistency. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
· Stir in the peanut butter, salt and pepper and simmer for another 40 minutes, or until the beef is tender and oil rises to the surface of the dish. Add water as necessary to keep the dish stewlike.
· Adjust seasoning and serve over rice or couscous. Serves 6 to 8.

Variations

· Use goat instead of beef. Or use chicken pieces.

· When you add the water or stock, stir in some vegetables such as cabbage, yams, squash, okra, eggplant, potatoes, peppers or carrots if you like. Vegetarian versions are made with only vegetables.

Comments

Popular Posts