To Meat or not to Meat

So, as most regular readers probably know, I've been trying to avoid cooking with/eating meat for the most part in my daily life. This isn't because I've become all tender hearted or something, but more for the environmental reasons (i.e. methane pollution, feedlot runoff, etc.) And because I'm not able to buy any organic, sustainably raised meats in Marshall's Walmart, I just don't buy any at all. Overall, I've been doing just fine with my decision to be veggie in my own cooking — I know that dairies can also be environmentally unfriendly as well, but I can't quite give up cheese, though I do buy mostly soy milk.

Anyway, the point is this. Earlier this week I had a bit of a craving for the sesame chicken at China Inn. I'm over it now, but I did really want some. I guilted myself out of buying any, however, because it's a good bet that the chicken there is produced in the very kind of factory farm I'm trying to avoid supporting. And tonight, I'm headed to a Mexican restaurant with my dad and stepmom. I'm very conflicted about what to order there as well because I'm quite fond of beef tacos and burritos. This socially responsible eating is not always easy.

Comments

Popular Posts