Lovely Lentils

As I continue to use up the ingredients in my pantry, I made this Indian-styled lentil dish last night, adapted from two different dal recipes in one of my Indian cookbooks. I really think it is the best Indian food I've made yet, possibly the garlic-infused oil is what makes it so good. My house smelled delicious all evening:)

1 1/4 cups lentils
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic

1. In a large saucepan, combine lentils, water, onion, carrots and spices. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 30 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Add tomatoes.

2. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add garlic and saute until browned. Pour oil and garlic over lentils. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir and serve over rice, topped with sour cream or yogurt.

Comments

Popular Posts