Happy Halloween!

Although Halloween is not as widely celebrated here in Hong Kong as at home, it is still a well-known event. In the past couple of weeks, the supermarkets have begun to stock Halloween candy. It is different from in the US, of course, but it's still nice to see themed sweets. There are gummy pumpkins, foil-covered chocolates and chocolate-filled marshmallows, along with miniature Snickers, Cadbury Dairy Milk and Toblerone.

One of my favorite Halloween candies, though, is candy corn. It is ridiculously sweet, but then I have an almost insatiable sweet tooth. And thanks to my lovely mother, I have an entire bag of candy corn, plus another bag of candy corn pumpkins here for the eating.

If I were at home, with an unlimited supply of these lovely sweets, I would probably make a batch of candy corn snack mix, a recipe I learned from my college friend Lauren Wooldridge. Combine candy corn with M&Ms and salted peanuts to make a sweet, salty and chocolatey concoction that is Halloween in a mouthful.

Comments

  1. Hi Sydney - do adults dress up in costumes and go to parties for Halloween in Hong Kong? Is the candy used for a tradition similar to how kids "Trick-or-treat" in the US? I just wrote about this but don't yet have a perspective from HK.
    Here's the link if you can weigh in with your thoughts:
    http://visit50.com/2011/10/halloween-around-the-world/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts