Spaghetti Bolognese

My first trip out of the United States was to Italy when I was 15, the summer after my freshman year of high school. I went for about 2 weeks with my mom and my aunt, and it was fantastic. That was more than 10 years ago now, and I'm sure I have forgotten many things about that wonderful trip. But one thing I will always remember was the truly amazing spaghetti bolognese (actually I think it was long, wide egg noodles) I ate in Rome.

I don't recall that the restaurant was anything special really, and I don't know why I chose to order that dish. But I did, and it has put me on a quest to taste something so delicious once again. When we returned from Italy, I tried to make a sauce similar to the one I had tasted. Then, I began to order it frequently at Italian restaurants, but nothing was ever the same.

After a time, I lost my drive to find the perfect bolognese once again. But more recently, I have seen it made a couple of times on cooking shows, and I was intrigued. From these shows, I learned that one secret to delicious sauce is adding milk or cream. My roommate told me I was ridiculous to do so, but that just shows what she knows.

Anyway, this Monday, I worked in the morning and had the evening off, which was a perfect time to make a real home-cooked meal for myself and my boyfriend, David. I had a great time chopping and stirring away in the kitchen, watching the sun set over Victoria Harbor. My bolognese is a fusion of these two recipes, one by Emeril and one from Rachael Ray. It was pretty darn delicious, but still didn't quite compare to my memory of Italian bolognese.

Comments

Popular Posts