An Afternoon in Kowloon City

Yesterday, David and I spent the afternoon in Kowloon City, an area of Hong Kong where I have not been before. The main attraction is the Kowloon Walled City Park, which is now a beautiful green space where there was once an unauthorized, highly populated and closely constructed group of apartment buildings. At one time, there were about 40,000 people living in an area of just 6 to 7 acres.

Anyway, Kowloon City is also famous for its food. There are several short streets running parallel to one another, each lined with restaurants and small, ethnic--mostly Thai--grocery stores. At one such store, I bought a little dessert snack, pictured below.


I thought these pretty fruit shapes might be marzipan, and in a way, they were quite similar. But, I think they were made of a mixture of peanut, coconut and something like red bean, and then covered in the shiny, colorful coating. Interesting, but I don't know that I need to eat them again.

For our main meal, we ate at a place called Indian Curry King, though the name on the storefront reads Indian Restaurant. It was a delicious meal, though the "medium" spicy food was a bit hotter than we expected. The atmosphere was really nice, and the service was good. I would definitely recommend it!

Paneer-stuffed naan. Amazing!


Chicken Tikka Masala and Eggplant Curry

Comments

Popular Posts