I Like Latkes

This week I am continuing to play the popular cooking game, "use up whatever is in the refrigerator." So today, I decided to cook my remaining potatoes, which were beginning to grow roots, along with some carrots and eggs. I decided that potato cakes seemed like a good starting point, though I had never made them before.

When searching through recipes, I debated between those that used mashed potatoes, for a creamier cake, and those with grated vegetables. Then, I found these two recipes: one for Jewish latkes and one from Rachael Ray, a favorite celebrity chef. I liked the look of these because they sounded slightly healthier, by including carrots and onions (I have never seen parsnips for sale in Hong Kong).

My version of potato-carrot cakes turned out well with green onions and bread crumbs mixed in. The outside gets quite crunchy and delicious! I think it would be really tasty to include some mashed or chopped chickpeas, or maybe even sesame seeds, for extra protein and flavor. I look forward to eating mine tomorrow for lunch, along with cabbage slaw and Japanese vinaigrette dressing.




Comments

Popular Posts