Brown Rice Risotto

Even though I don't cook as frequently as I used to, I often feel that there is just nothing that I want to make from my usual repertoire. Perhaps that's because I've made quite a bit of pasta recently, and also because I prefer to make meatless meals that are also man-friendly.

When faced with what to cook for dinner on Wednesday night, I was a bit stumped at first. And then I remembered risotto. It is a fairly healthy, filling, one-pot dish that can include as many vegetables as you want!

After a bit of research, I discovered that you can also make risotto with regular or even brown rice. Of course, to be authentic it must be arborio or a similar variety. However, I very much like to cook with brown rice because it is a bit chewy and nutty, as well as being better for you.

In the end, my brown rice risotto with pumpkin and pea shoots turned out quite well. I think the cube of chicken bullion gave it a little extra flavor, as did a dash of nutmeg. Chopped walnuts add a bit of a crunch, which is nice, though I think I should have toasted them beforehand.


Comments

Popular Posts