Cornbread & Chili


Recently my roommate Amy made vegetarian chili, and it gave our entire house a wonderful and spicy smell. The weather in Hong Kong has cooled down a bit, or at least it is not as humid, and it is a good temperature for making chili.

I really wanted to try to make my own version of a vegetarian chili, something I have never done before. (This recipe from Cooking Light sounded particularly yummy). However, David doesn't love beans and was not thrilled at the idea of a completely meatless chili.

As a compromise, I used a little bit of both. I found some canned chili beans in sauce at City'Super, the fancy international grocery store, and then I bought a small portion of ground pork (because there was no ground beef left).

The other exciting ingredient was roasted red peppers (an idea I stole from the veggie chili recipe above). Normally, I don't like red peppers because bell peppers in general give me heartburn, but roasted and in chili, they were fine.

Now, apparently British people always eat chili with rice, but I grew up eating it with cornbread or sometimes cheese and crackers. We always used Jiffy cornbread mix, which they do in fact sell some places here.

However, I decided to try this recipe for cornbread instead. It would've been really good I think, had I not misread the recipe and put in extra baking powder and baking soda. Even after I scraped a lot out, the final product had a bit of a funny aftertaste.

Comments

Popular Posts