A New Ingredient: Bean Curd Strips


At the grocery store recently, I noticed something I'd never seen before: bean curd strips. They were in the refrigerated section, near the packaged noodles and other tofu products. I was unsure if I would like this mystery item, but I was also very curious, so of course I bought some.

Upon opening the package, I found that the 'strips' were actually whole sheets of bean curd, which had been fried (I think) and shaped into strips. They had a rather spongy consistency and an interesting smell/flavor, which is difficult to describe but I think easy to recognize as a bean curd product.

Having never cooked or eaten bean curd strips before, I didn't really know how to prepare them either. The best bet seemed to be in a Chinese style, so I used them in a vegetable stir-fry. It turned out quite well, and I suppose was a good source of protein, though I don't think it's something I want to eat all the time.

Comments

Popular Posts