Vegetable Soup, Japanese Style


Now that it's feeling slightly cool here in Hong Kong, I've been thinking about more wintry foods like soup and root vegetables, in particular the Chinese white turnip/radish that I love. So, I decided to try making homemade Japanese-style hot pot soup, the restaurant version of which I've written about here.

I used onion, garlic, carrots, turnip, cabbage and tofu in my soup, along with a chicken stock cube (though you could easily use vegetable stock). For seasoning, I added a bit of butter and soy sauce, which resulted in a tasty, warming albeit slightly bland soup. 

At a restaurant, this dish would come in a personal hot pot, with a freshly cracked egg inside. David doesn't like eggs, so I didn't try that. However, I did make rice to serve alongside it, which you can then spoon the soup onto before eating. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts