Peru on the Palate, Part 1


Although I also took some medication for altitude sickness, I drank a lot of coca tea in Peru. It comes from the same plant used to make cocaine, but I didn't feel any different after drinking it. The taste is a bit plant-like, but not unpleasant.


I felt bad that I ate gnocchi, an Italian dish, as one of my first meals in Peru. However, I later learned that potatoes originate from Peru/Bolivia, so at least I was trying a native food in some form. 


During our day tour of the Sacred Valley of the Incas, we went to a buffet restaurant for lunch. Sadly, I didn't eat as much as I normally would at a buffet. We were still adjusting to the altitude, at which point you shouldn't overeat.


However, there were nice salads on the buffet, including quinoa of course. I also enjoyed the very soupy but delicious cheesy potato gratin. 


'Soup Criolle' was a common feature on many restaurant menus. My boss tried it first, and later I decided to try it, though I think mine didn't look as nice as hers. It was a hearty soup with spaghetti, fried egg and pieces of meat in a tasty yellow broth.


We also saw many roasted chicken restaurants. I was quite surprised that the main side dish was fries, rather than rice or beans, but then potatoes must be cheap if they are native. The chicken was very nicely spiced, though the fries were just okay.

Comments

Popular Posts