A Taste of the Waikiki Spam Jam


At the end of our first full day in Honolulu for the ARVO 2018 Annual Meeting, my boss and I checked out the city's annual Spam Jam, which was held on the street just outside our hotel in Waikiki. In addition to countless stalls offering Spam-themed food, there were souvenir stands and three stages featuring a variety of local performers.


The festival was very crowded, with lines for almost every stall. I was lucky to be able to try the famous Spam sushi, which was sold out, though additional food was arriving just as I ordered. Although I'm not a huge fan of Spam, the "sushi" was better than I expected because it was served warm rather than cold.

Other offerings included Spam burgers, Spam "fries," loaded tater tots with Spam and even Spam cheesecake! There were also a few normal options such as barbecue ribs and ice cream sandwiches, though we opted to have dinner at a restaurant instead.

Comments

Popular Posts