Yvette's Hungarian Chicken


When we lived in Branson, my mom became friends with a woman named Yvette, who was a cousin of the Gabor sisters and had moved to the US from Hungary. She invited us over for dinner a few times, and once she showed me how to make traditional paprika chicken, dumplings and red cabbage.

Although I loved the meal, I never tried to recreate it myself until now. However, David requested chicken, so I decided to try chicken paprikash because it seemed more interesting that plain roasted chicken. In making this dish, I cut up a raw chicken for the first time, which wasn't easy but was certainly messy.


Some recipes I saw included tomato in the paprikash sauce, but I only used onion and green pepper plus lots of paprika. Because we don't love meat on the bone, I also de-boned and chopped up the cooked meat, then returned it to the sauce before serving.


I suppose I could've served the chicken with store-bought noodles. However, we often eat pasta so I wanted to try the more authentic nokedli dumplings. Unfortunately, the holes in my colander were almost too narrow for easy use, but I was still able to make some fairly good dumplings in the end.

As a side dish, I also made tart red cabbage cooked with apple and vinegar. I'm not sure how authentic any of the dishes were, but they were very tasty! Hopefully someday I can visit Hungary and try the real thing, too.

Comments

Popular Posts