Last Bites in Copenhagen


One of the foods I definitely wanted to try in Denmark was smørrebrød, which is basically an open-faced sandwich topped with different ingredients. Of course, these were available on many menus all around Copenhagen, but they were quite expensive in the tourist areas.

Finally on our last full day, we tried a small neighborhood shop near our Airbnb called Byens Smørrebrød. The prices were more than reasonable and the food delicious.

To share, we ordered 4 types: meatball with red cabbage, pastrami, potato and beef. It was hard to choose a favorite, as they were all delicious in different ways thanks to the toppings (pickles, onions) or sauces (mustard, horseradish). If I’d been alone I probably would’ve tried the egg variety also, but I was more than content with my first smørrebrød experience.


Sadly, it was only on our last day in Copenhagen that we also tried the local version of vanilla soft-serve ice cream. It was so creamy and delicious that we shared one at Tivoli Gardens, then ordered a second one not too long after. 

I'm very familiar with chocolate-dipped cones, but I've never seen ice cream rolled in sprinkles, chocolate chips and so on. I actually preferred the chocolate powder because it mixed with the ice cream well, but David liked the mini chips best. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts